Consider the following questions:
- How important is technology in your life?
- What’s the most important gadget in your everyday life, the one without which you would feel lost?
- How has the Internet changed our lives in the last 10 years?
- Do you use any social networks? Which one/ones? If you don’t use them, why?
- What social networks are popular among young people? Should they be allowed to use them? Why/not?
- What are the risks of technology and the Internet for children nowadays?
One of the most worrying risks of technology and the Internet for young people is cyberbullying. Bullying at school is not a new phenomenon, but the Internet has given the harassment a new dimension.
The following video shows a case of cyberbullying from the perspective of an unlikely victim. Before you watch, consider the following questions:
- What kind of person is a bully? Why do you think they do it?
- What kind of person is bullied? Is there a pattern common to all the victims of bullying?
- What advice would you give to someone who is being bullied?
- What advice would you give to someone who is being bullied online?
Watch the video and take notes of how the bullying started and how it escalated.
- What do you think the boy should have done?
- What can teachers do in these situations?
- What should parents do in these cases?
The soundtrack of the video is a beautiful song by Ben Folds. Listen and complete the missing words: